My research focuses on:
understanding people's situated information needs and
how new natural language technologies can be developed to help people better meet these needs (i.e. requirements analysis, use case
specification and technology evaluation).
Key methods include: text analysis; corpus
development and annotation; interface design; qualitative techniques
(interviews, focus groups, questionnaires).
Technologies investigated include: summarization, dialogue,
Recently my interests are in interactive information access and in
developing tools and resources to help public decision-making
- E. Barker, M. Paramita, A. Aker, E. Kurtic, M. Hepple and
R. Gaizauskas. The SENSEI Annotated Corpus: Human Summaries of
Reader Comment Conversations in On-line News. In Proceedings of
the 17th Annual SIGdial Meeting on Discourse and Dialogue (SIGDIAL
2016), pp. 42-52. 2016.
- Aker, M. Paramita, E. Kurtic, A. Funk, E. Barker, M. Hepple and R. Gaizauskas. Automatic label generation for news comment clusters. In Proceedings of the 9th International Natural Language Generation Conference (INLG16). 2016.
- E. Barker and R. Gaizauskas. Summarizing Multi-Party Argumentative
Conversations in Reader Comment on News. In Proceedings of the ACL
2016 3rd Workshop on Argument Mining, pp. 12-20. 2016.
- E. Barker, M. Paramita, A. Funk, E. Kurtic, A. Aker, J. Foster,
M. Hepple and R. Gaizauskas. What's the Issue Here?: Task-based
Evaluation of Reader Comment Summarization Systems. In Proceedings
of the Tenth International Conference on Language Resources and
Evaluation (LREC 2016), pp. 3094-3101. 2016.
- Aker, E. Kurtic, B. A. Rajendran, M. Paramita, Emma Barker, M. Hepple and R. Gaizauskas. A Graph-based Approach to Topic Clustering for Online Comments to News. In Proceedings of the 38th European Conference on Information Retrieval (ECIR 2016), pp. 15-29, 2016.
- Mijail Kabadjov, Josef Steinberger, Emma Barker, Udo Kruschwitz,
Massimo Poesio, OnForumS: The Shared Task on Online Forum
Summarisation at MultiLing'15, FIRE '15, December 04-06, 2015,
- R. Gaizauskas, M. Paramita, E. Barker, M. Pinnis, A. Aker and
M. Pahisa. Extracting bilingual terms from the Web Terminology
21(2), pp. 205-236, 2015.
- R. Gaizauskas, E. Barker, M. Lestari Paramita and A. Aker. Assigning Terms to Domains by Document Classification. In Proceedings of the 4th International Workshop on Computational Terminology (Computerm), 2014.
- A. Aker, M. Lestari Paramita, E. Barker and R. J. Gaizauskas. Bootstrapping Term Extractors for Multiple Languages. In Proceedings of the Ninth International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation (LREC-2014), pp. 483-489, 2014.
- E. Barker and R. Gaizauskas. Assessing the Comparability of News
Texts. In Proc. of the Eight Int. Conference on Language Resources
and Evaluation (LREC), 2012.
- R. Gaizauskas, E. Barker, C-L. Chang, L. Derczynski, M. Phiri and
C. Peng. Applying ISO-Space to Healthcare Facility Design Evaluation
Reports. In Proc. of the ISA-7 Workshop on Interoperable Semantic
Annotation, pp. 13-20, 2012.
- E. Barker and R.S. Purves, A Caption Annotation Scheme for
Georeferencing Images, 5th Workshop on Geographic Information
Retrieval held in conjunction with CIKM 2008, Napa Valley, USA 2008.
- E. Barker, J. Polifroni, M. Walker and R. Gaizauskas, Angle Seeking
as a Scenario for Task-Based Evaluation of Information Access
Technologies, In Proceedings of the 30th annual European Conference
on Information Retrieval (ECIR08) Workshop on Novel Methodologies for
Evaluation in Information Retrieval, 2008.
- R. Gaizauskas, H. Saggion and E. Barker. Information Access and Natural Language Processing: A Stimulating Dialogue. In Words and Intelligence: Essays in Honour of Yorick Wilks, Ahmad, K., Brewster, C. and Stevenson, M. (eds.), Text Speech and Language Technology Series, volume 36, (Springer-Verlag) pp. 85-105, 2007.
- E. Barker, R. Higashinaka, F. Mairesse, R. Gaizauskas, M. Walker, and
J. Foster. Simulating Cub Reporter Dialogues: The collection of
naturalistic human-human dialogues for information access to text
archives. In Proceedings of Language Resources and Evaluation (LREC),
- H. Saggion, E. Barker, R.Gaizauskas and J.Foster. Integrating NLP
tools to support information access to news archives. In Proceedings
of Recent Advances in Natural Language Processing (RANLP), 2005.
- E. Barker and R. Gaizauskas. Evaluating Cub Reporter: proposals for
extrinsic evaluation of journalists using language technologies to
access a news archive in background research. In Proceedings of the
Workshop on Evaluating User Studies in Information Access, part of
Conceptions of Library and Information Science (COLIS), 2005.
- R. Gaizauskas and E. Barker. Mice from a Mountain: reflections on current issues in evaluation of written language technology. In Charting a New Course - Natural Language Processing and Information Retrieval: Essays in Honour of Karen Sparck Jones. John I. Tait (ed.). (Springer), pp.195-238, 2005.
- L. Corti and E. Barker. Edwardians Online: An XML Application for Qualitative Data. In ASSIGnation, Vol. 120, No. 2, 2003.
- E. Barker and L. Corti. Enhancing Access to Qualitative Data:
Edwardians On-line. Peer reviewed paper at Digital Resources for the
Humanities, (DRH) 2002.
- E. Barker; K. Schurer; L. Corti. Enhancing Access to Qualitative
Data Resources: Edwardians Online. At The International Association
for Social Science Information Service and Technology (IASSIST) Annual
Conference, Connecticut, 2002.
- E. Barker. John Venn and the Alumni Cantabrigienses - an example of
applied natural language processing techniques in enhancing the
utility of a historical database. Poster presentation at the
Association for Literary and Linguistic Computing (ALLC) and the
Association for Computers and the Humanities (ACH), 2000.
Last modified Wed Dec 21 2016 by E. Barker