- I am tutorial co-chair with Alexandre Klementiev of EACL 2017 in Valencia, April 2017.
- I was co-chair with Chris Dyer and Graham Neubig for Machine Translation in ACL 2016 in Berlin, August 2015.
- I co-organised with Desmond Elliott, Stella Frank, and Khalil Sima'an (University of Amsterdam) a new shared task on Multimodal Machine Translation as part of WMT16 in Berlin, August 2016.
- I co-organised with Carolina Scarton and Varvara Logacheva (University of Sheffield) the fifth edition of the Quality Estimation shared task as part of WMT16 in Berlin, August 2016.
- I co-organised with a number of colleagues the workshop and shared task on
Quality Assessment for Text Simplification to be held with LREC 2016 in Portoroz, Slovenia, May 2016.
- I co-organised with Gustavo Paetzold (University of Sheffield) a a new shared task on
Complex Word Identification as part of SEMEVAL-2016, to be held with with NAACL-HLT in San Diego, June 2016.
- I co-organised with a number of colleagues from the EU Cracker project the workshop on
Translation evaluation - From fragmented tools and data sets to an integrated ecosystem to be held with LREC 2016 in Portoroz, Slovenia, May 2016.
More on past activities...
PhD theses I examined recently
- I was external examiner for Rohit Gupta's thesis at University of Wolverhampton in June 2016. His thesis was entitled Use of Language Technology to Improve Matching and Retrieval in Translation Memory.
- I was external examiner for José Guilherme Camargo de Souza's thesis a Università di Trento in April 2016. His thesis was entitled Adaptive Quality Estimation for Machine Translation and Automatic Speech Recognition.
- I was external examiner for Miquel Esplà Gomi's thesis at Universitat d'Alacant in January 2016. His thesis was entitled Using external sources of bilingual information for word-level quality estimation in translation technologies.
- I was external examiner for Luong Ngoc Quang's thesis at Grenoble I University in November 2014. His thesis was entitled Word Confidence Estimation for Statistical Machine Translation.
- I was external examiner for Marco Brunello's thesis at Univerity of Leeds in November 2014. His thesis was entitled ???.
- I was external examiner for Naoto Nishio's thesis at the University of Limerick in May 2015. His thesis was entitled Predicting the Quality of Translation from Attributes of a Translator.
- I was external examiner for Jesús González-Rubio's thesis at Universitat Politecnica de Valencia in May 2014. His thesis was entitled On the Effective Deployment of Current Machine Translation Technology.
- I was "examinatrice" for Marion Potet's thesis at Grenoble I University in April 2013. The thesis was entitled Vers l'intégration de post-éditions d'utilisateurs pour améliorer les systèmes de traduction automatiques probabilistes. I also gave a talk to the Laboratory of Informatics of Grenoble (LIG) on "Machine Translation from the users' perspective".
- I was external examiner for Giselle De Almeida's thesis at Dublin City University in December 2012. Her thesis was entitled Translating the post-editor: an investigation of post-editing changes and correlations with professional experience across two Romance languages.
- I was external examiner for Els Lefever's thesis at Gent University in September 2012. The thesis was entitled ParaSense: Parallel corpora for word sense disambiguation. I also gave a talk at the Symposium on "Exploiting Parallel Corpora for Lexical Disambiguation".
- I was external examiner for Milena Yankova's thesis at Sheffield University in 2010.