My research interests include speech recognition by humans and machines, audio-visual speech processing, machine listening and the application of machine learning to audio processing.
- Fully-funded PhD studentship for distant microphone speech recognition available. Home/EU or Overseas applicants welcome.
- Postdoc position for Dysarthric Speech Recognition. Apply now. Closing September 21st.
- Proceedings of the CHAT-2017 workshop on hearing assistive technology now available.
- Preparation has started for the 5th CHiME challenge. Coming January 2018.
- Computer Speech and Language Special Issue on Multi-Microphone Speech Recognition in Everyday Environments out now.
- TAPAS: Training Network on Automatic Processing of PAthological Speech
- The CHiME challenges
- English and Spanish Consistent Confusion Corpora
- More research …
- Alghamdi, N., Maddock, S., Barker, J., & Brown, G. J. (2017). The impact of automatic exaggeration of the visual articulatory features of a talker on the intelligibility of spectrally distorted speech. Speech Communication. 10.1016/j.specom.2017.08.010
- Gonzalez, J. A., Gómez, A. M., Peinado, A. M., Ma, N., & Barker, J. (2017). Spectral Reconstruction and Noise Model Estimation Based on a Masking Model for Noise Robust Speech Recognition. Circuits, Systems, and Signal Processing, 36(9), 3731–3760. 10.1007/s00034-016-0480-7
- Barker, J., Marxer, R., Vincent, E., & Watanabe, S. (2017). The third ‘CHiME’ speech separation and recognition challenge: Analysis and outcomes. Computer Speech and Language, 46, 605–626. 10.1016/j.csl.2016.10.005
- Vincent, E., Watanabe, S., Nugraha, A. A., Barker, J., & Marxer, R. (2017). An analysis of environment, microphone and data simulation mismatches in robust speech recognition. Computer Speech and Language, 46, 535–557. 10.1016/j.csl.2016.11.005
- Marxer, R., Barker, J., Cooke, M., & Garcia Lecumberri, M. L. (2016). A corpus of noise-induced word misperceptions for English. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 140(5), EL458–EL463. Retrieved from http://eprints.whiterose.ac.uk/108991/ [PDF]