My research interests are in 3D Computer Graphics and Animation, an area I've worked in for nearly 30 years, and in which I have over 100 refereed publications. My research can be categorised into three main areas: facial modelling and animation, AR and VR technology and applications, and simulation and sketch-based interfaces. I am Head of the Visual Computing Research Group and I also have a keen interest in education, and firmly support the University's stance on research-led teaching.
- Ashley Towers, James Field, Chris Stokes, Steve Maddock, Nicolas Martin, A scoping review of the use and application of Virtual Reality in Dental Education, British Dental Journal (accepted).
- Matthew Leach, Steve Maddock, Dawn Hadley, Carolyn Butterworth, John Moreland, Gareth Dean, Ralph Mackinder, Kacper Pach, Nick Bax, Michaela Mckone, Dan Fleetwood. Recreating Sheffield's Medieval Castle in situ using Outdoor Augmented Reality, Proc EuroVR 2018 (22-23 Oct, 2018), LNCS 11162. pp. 213-229
- Matthew Leach and Steve Maddock. Physically-based Sticky Lips, Proc CGVC2018.
- Najwa Alghamdi, Steve Maddock, Ricard Marxer, Jon Barker, Guy Brown. A corpus of audio-visual Lombard speech with frontal and profile views, The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 143, EL523 (2018). (paper, corpus)
- Ricard Marxer, Jon Barker, Najwa Alghamdi, Steve Maddock. The impact of the Lombard effect on audio and visual speech recognition systems, Speech Communication, Volume 100, June 2018, Pages 58-68 (open access)
- Peter Heywood, Steve Maddock, Jordi Casas, David Garcia, Mark Brackstone, Paul Richmond. Data-Parallel Agent-Based Microscopic Road Network Simulation using Graphics Processing Units. Simulation Modelling Practice and Theory, Volume 83, April 2018, Pages 188-200 [open access]
- Najwa Alghamdi, Steve Maddock, Jon Barker, Guy Brown. The Impact of Automatic Exaggeration of the Visual Articulatory Features of a Talker on the Intelligibility of Spectrally Distorted Speech. Speech Communication, Volume 95, December 2017, Pages 127-136 [ScienceDirect]
- Wuyang Shui, Mingquan Zhou, Steve Maddock, Taiping He, Xingce Wang, Qingqiong Deng. A PCA-Based Method for Determining Craniofacial Relationship and Sexual Dimorphism of Facial Shapes. Computers in Biology and Medicine, Volume 90, 1 November 2017, Pages 33-49 [ScienceDirect, White Rose eprints]
Recent funded projects
- Heritage-led urban regeneration: a scalable model for community engagement using immersive technologies. Hadley (PI, York), Maddock, Bax (Humanstudio), AHRC, Jan 19 - Apr 19 (£26k) (AH/S010580/1)
- Experience Castlegate. Butterworth (PI, Architectural Studies), Bax (Humanstudio), Mackinder (Architectural Studies), Moreland, Hadley and Dean (Archaeology), Maddock (COM). Festival of the Mind 2018, 20-30 September 2018 (£5k)
- Maddock, Hadley, Butterworth, Mackinder, Bringing Sheffield’s medieval castle alive: viewing the past through an interactive website, TUoS SURE scheme, 11 June - 20 July, 2018, £1080
- Digital Engagement for Heritage-led Urban Regeneration, Hadley (Archaeology, PI), Maddock (COM), Butterworth (Architectural Studies), AHRC/EPSRC Next Generation of Immersive Experiences, Jan-Jul 2018 (£60k)
- Immersive services for driverless cars, Dibben (Music, HRI; PI), Pidd (DHI), Maddock (COM), Abhayaratne (EEE), Levin (Levering Ltd), Star (Playgen), Bax (Human). HEIF, Dec 2017-Mar 2018 (£24k)
- SATGPU - Phases II, III, IV, V, VI: Richmond and Maddock (COM). Commercial contracts with Atkins: Jun-Aug, 2017 (£20k); Sep-Nov, 2017 (£12.5k); Feb 2018 (£7.5k); Mar 2018 (£5K); Apr-Aug 2018 (£5K)
- Industrially funded PhD 'Multi Agent Visualisation and Interactive Rendering', Richmond and Maddock, in conjunction with the Transport Systems Catapult (£30k contribution), 2016-2019
- Bax and Mckone (Humanstudio), Stone, Brown, Maddock. The Virtual Hole in the Road. Part of the Futurecade series of events, Millenium Gallery, Sheffield, 17-25 Sep, 2016 (part of the Festival of the Mind 2016 exhibition). (£5k) (link 1, link 2, link 3, link 4, link 5, link 6, link 7)
- 'A virtual ossuary for the Rothwell Charnel Chapel project website', Steve Maddock and Lizzy Craig-Atkins (Archaeology), TUoS SURE scheme, 13 June - 22 July, 2016, £1210
- SATGPU, Richmond and Maddock. Commercial contract with Transport Systems Catapult, Atkins, Highways Agency and STFC, November 2015 - April 2016, (amount unspecified)
- 'The Digital Ossuary: 3D visualisation of a unique and endangered archaeological site', University of Sheffield Digital Humanities Exploration Fund, £950. Dawn Hadley (Archaeology), Elizabeth Craig-Atkins (Archaeology), Steve Maddock, Rab Scott (NAMRC), June 2015. (link 1, link 2, link3, link 4, link 5)
- '3D structure-from-motion in archaeology', project 3 in the Interdisciplinary PhD Network 'Transforming Research Methods in the Humanities', which consists of 3 PhD studentships, ~£170k. Supervisors: Project 1: Fitzmaurice (English) and Green (Computer Science); Project 2: Watt (Hispanic Studies), Wessels (Sociological Studies); Project 3: Willmott (Archaeology), Maddock (Computer Science), Autumn 2014-2017.